2010 Six-week tapestry study program with Pat Taylor, West Dean College, Chichester, West Sussex, UK.
2001 Eight-week Penland Concentration tapestry study with Archie Brennan and Susan Martin Maffei.
1994-2016 Workshops in tapestry: Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts (TN); Penland School of Crafts (NC); Hambidge Center (GA); Convergence ’94 (MN). Tapestry Weavers in New England retreat (NH); Tapestry Weavers South workshop (FL, GA); American Tapestry Alliance retreats (NH, MI, FL, CO, NM, CA, RI, WI).
1980 Master of Fine Arts, East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN.
1973 Master of Art Education, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
1969 Bachelor of Art Education, University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
2017 Co-teaching with Bhakti Ziek during Penland eight-week Spring Concentration.
1972-2018 Instructor for workshops at Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts; John C. Campbell Folk School; Penland School of Crafts; Peters Valley School of Craft; Hambidge Center; University of North Georgia; and for many fiber guilds and other educational institutions throughout the southeast.
2001--2009 Instructor (part-time) North Georgia College & State University (now known as University of North Georgia), Dahlonega, GA.
2002 Appointed Professor Emerita, University of North Georgia.
1972-2000 Professor of Art, Department of Fine Arts, North Georgia College, Head of department, 1997-2000 (UNG).
· "Art of Georgia III," State Capitol, Atlanta, Georgia.
· "Excellence in Fiber," juried exhibit sponsored by Fiber Art Now magazine. San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles, San Jose, CA.
· Tapestry Weavers South exhibit, Folk Art Center, Asheville, NC.
· 2018 Instructors exhibit, Sandy J. Blaine Gallery, Arrowmont School of Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN.
· Small Format International 5, American Tapestry Alliance juried exhibition, UNT on the Square, Univ. of North TX, Denton, TX; Handforth Gallery, Tacoma Public Library, Tacoma, WA
· Kate Derum Award for Small Tapestries finalist, Australian Tapestry Workshop, South Melbourne, VIctoria, Australia.
· “Time Warp—and Weft,” six person exhibit, Lyndon House Arts Center, Athens, GA.
· "A Sense of Place," Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, Augusta, GA.
· Tapestry Weavers South exhibit, Yadkin Cultural Arts Center, Yadkinville, NC.
· American Tapestry Biennial 11, juried international exhibit, South Bend Museum of Art, IN; Mulvane Art Museum, Topeka, KS; San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, CA (catalog published).
· International Exhibition of Small Tapestries: Australia, United Kingdom, United States.
· “Time Warp—and Weft,” five person exhibit, North Topeka Arts Center (NOTO), Topeka, KS (November-December)
· “Inspired by the Mountains,” Smith-Williams Gallery, Piedmont College, Demorest, GA (September-October)
· “Foxfire: Weaving a Visual History,” The Hambidge Center (June-September). Invited artist.
· “Through the Needle’s Eye,” invitational fiber arts exhibit, Johns Creek Arts Center, Johns Creek, GA (May-June)
· Tapestry Weavers South members’ exhibit, Yadkin Cultural Arts Center, Yadkinville, NC (May-June)
· “Time Woven,” one-person exhibit, Moon Gallery, Berry College, Mt. Berry, GA (March-April)
· 2015 Instructor Exhibition, Sandra J. Blain Gallery, Arrowmont School of Crafts, Gatlinburg, TN
· “Velocity of Textiles,” juried international exhibition sponsored by, Chattahoochee Handweavers Guild, Ernest G. Welch Gallery, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA.
· “Intertwined: Contemporary Southeastern Fiber Art,” Hudgens Center for the Arts, Duluth, GA. Invited artist for selected portion of exhibit and juried into larger exhibition. (catalog published)
· “Continuous Threads: 200 Years of Domestic and Art Textiles in Georgia,” Gwinnett Environment and Heritage Center, Buford, GA. Invited artist.
· Southern Highland Craft Guild selected members exhibit, Office of the Appalachian Regional Commission, Washington, DC.
· “The Art is the Cloth,” juried exhibit, three venues: New Hampshire Institute of Art, Manchester; The George School, Newtown, PA; Deerfield Academy, Deerfield, MA. (catalog published)
· “Mountains and Meadows,” Blue Ridge Fiber Show, North Carolina Arboretum, Asheville, NC.
· “Digital Technology; Traditional Techniques,” juried exhibit, Gray Gallery, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC.
· ATB10, juried exhibit of American Tapestry Alliance, three venues: San Diego, CA; Kent, OH; Omaha, NE. (catalog published)
· “In the Mind’s Eye,” juried exhibit sponsored by Chattahoochee Handweavers Guild, Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Marietta, GA.
· “Visions of an Eco-Future,” juried exhibit of Hambidge Fellows, Hambidge Gallery, Rabun Gap, GA. (catalog published)
· “National Fiber Directions,” juried exhibit, Wichita Center for the Arts, Wichita, KS.
· Tapestry Weavers South exhibits, Quinlan Art Center, Gainesville, GA and Folk Art Center, Asheville, NC.
· “North, South, East, Nest,” invitational exhibit, Hambidge Gallery, The Hambidge Center, Rabun Gap, GA.
· “Inspired Globally, Created Locally,” Piedmont Craftsman members exhibit, The Milton Rhodes Arts Center, Winston-Salem, NC.
· “Black and White III,” Southern Highland Craftsman Guild members exhibit, Folk Art Center, Asheville, NC
· “American Craft Today,” juried exhibit, The Bascom, Highlands.
· “The Art of Georgia: Celebrating Georgia’s Landscapes and People,” Executive Offices of the Governor, State Capitol, Atlanta, GA.
· Honorable mention for tapestry in juried multi-media exhibit, "A Sense of Place," Gertrude Herbert Institute of Art, Augusta, GA (2017).
· Tapestry selected for Materialities: Contemporary Textile Arts publication, Surface Design Association (2015).
· Madeleine K. Anthony Award 2015, for work with historical weaving drafts found in Lumpkin County, Georgia. Presented by Lumpkin County Historical Society.
· Blue Ridge Fiber Show, NC Arboretum, First Place award in Tapestry (2014).
· Handweavers Guild of America Award of Excellence, “In the Mind’s Eye,” juried exhibit of Chattahoochee Handweavers Guild, Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Marietta, GA (2013).
· American Tapestry Alliance Award for Excellence, Blue Ridge Fiber Show, Asheville, NC (2012).
· Artist Residency at Lillian E. Smith Center, Clayton, GA (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
· Hambidge Fellow, The Hambidge Center of Creative Arts and Sciences, Rabun Gap, GA (residencies in 1994, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016).
· First Place, “American Craft Today” national juried exhibit, The Bascom, Highlands, NC (2010).
· Photographs selected as cover illustration for Stonepile Writers Anthology (2010) and Stonepile writers Anthology Volume III (2014) published by the University Press of North Georgia.
· American Tapestry Alliance Award, Best Tapestry, Blue Ridge Handweaving Show, Asheville, NC (2008).
· Lifetime Achievement Award in Craft Education, presented by the Georgia Art Education Association, 2009.
· Life membership, Southern Highland Craft Guild, presented in 2009.
· Georgia State Art Collection (two works)
· Tennessee Valley Authority (Pickwick Dam, TN and Old City Hall, Knoxville, TN)
· Miller Brewing Company, Albany, GA
· University of North Georgia, Dahlonega, GA
· Gregg Museum, North Carolina State University, Raleigh,
· Work listed in the Archives of Women Artists, National Museum of Women in the Arts
· Many private collections, including commissioned works.
Selected Presentations and Writings:
· Gallery talk for "Time Warp and Weft" exhibit, Lyndon House Arts Center, Athens, Georgia, June 20, 2017.
· Keynote speaker for Tapestry Weavers South, "Filament: New Works from Tapestry Weavers South" Yadkin Cultural Arts Center, Yadkinville, North Carolina, May 6, 2017.
· Guest speaker, Textile Study Group meeting, Asheville, North Carolina, April 19 2017.
· Guest presenter, Lillian Smith Day, Piedmont College, Demorest, Georgia, September 2016.
· Guest artist at Warren Wilson College, January 2016.
· Guest workshop presenter, Penland School of Crafts, March 2016.
· Guest speaker, workshop presenter, juror for student art exhibit, Berry College, April 2016.
· Erin M. Riley and Tommye McClure Scanlin. "In Conversation." Tapestry Topics, Vol. 42 No. 4, American Tapestry Alliance newsletter.
· Tommye McClure Scanlin. "Time Warp and Weft: A Celebration of the Passage of Time through Weaving." Shuttle, Spindle & Dyepot, Vol. XLVII No. 2, Issue 190, Summer, 2017.
· Tommye McClure Scanlin. “The Value of Artist Residency Experiences.” Surface Design Journal, Vol. 40, No. 2, Summer 2016.
· Tommye McClure Scanlin and Bhakti Ziek. “Why Do We Weave Images? A Dialogue Begins.” Tapestry Topics, Vol. 42 No. 2, American Tapestry Alliance newsletter.
· Tommye McClure Scanlin. “Finding My Way.” Tapestry Weaver, Issue 17, Nov. 2015, The British Tapestry Group.
· Micala Sidore. “Daily Practice: Tapestry Diaries.” Fiber Art Now, Summer 2015.
· VÄV, Scandinavian Weaving Magazine, NR.2, 2014. Included in Forum article about Weaving Blogs.
· Marilyn Rea-Menzies and Tommye McClure Scanlin. “Beyond the Warp: Continuing Education.” American Tapestry Alliance educational article, <http://americantapestryalliance.org/education/educational- articles/beyond-the-warp-continuing-education/>2012.
· Writings (poems and essay) selected for publication in three volumes of Stonepile Writers Anthology, published by the University Press of North Georgia, Dahlonega, GA (2010, 2011, 2014).
· Panel participant at Annual Arts & Letters Conference, “Significance of Color in the Humanities and Social Science,” North Georgia College & State University, Dahlonega, GA 2012.
· Tommye McClure Scanlin. “Threads of Time.” Tapestry Weaver, Issue 8, Nov. 2012. The British Tapestry Group.
· Panel participant at Textile Society of American symposium, Lincoln, Nebraska, 2010
· Participant in “Local Industry” portion of “Wind/Rewind/Weave” exhibit, Knoxville Art Museum, Knoxville, TN by Anne Wilson, artist and professor in the Department of Fiber and Material Studies at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, 2010.
· Demonstration of tapestry weaving at Columbia Museum of Art during symposium in conjunction with “Imperial Splendor: Renaissance Tapestries from Vienna,” June 2010; Anderson Center for the Arts, Anderson, SC during Tapestry Weavers South exhibition, August 2009; Southern Highland Craft Guild Fair, Asheville, NC July, 2008; Folk Art Center, December, 2008, May, 2010, September 2013.
· Southern Highland Craft Guild -- Juried member since 1979; awarded Life membership, 2009
· Piedmont Craftsmen—Exhibiting member
· American Tapestry Alliance
· British Tapestry Group
· Tapestry Weavers South, founding member
· Advisory Board member, Lillian E. Smith Center, Piedmont College.